Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week FOUR: Recap!

To be honest, I have always been a little intimidated by rice paper. I was never quite sure how to cook with it, so I always avoided it in the grocery store, thinking I should just by frozen wontons or spring rolls instead. Boy, was I wrong! Today in Taste Buddies we made crab rangoon and spring rolls with rice paper. We also made some frushi (fruit sushi) that was absolutely delicious!

CRAB RANGOON:
I have never made crab rangoon before, and I could not believe how easy it is to make! We used rice paper for the wonton wrappers, and we soaked them in hot water for about 15 seconds. We then laid them out on a plate so we could easily scoop our crab mixture on top and rolled the wontons up in the wrap. Instead of frying our wontons, we baked ours today. The hot oil used for frying can sometimes be dangerous when you have little ones around in the kitchen. Plus, they taste great baked as well.

SPRING ROLLS:
Spring rolls are so fun to make, and they require no baking! Once you have wrapped the ingredients in the rice paper, they are ready to eat. Who knew spring rolls were so easy to make!?

FRUSHI:
We had so much fun making our frushi today. In fact, most of the Taste Buddies ate their rice before we had time to roll the ingredients into sushi! I would suggest using as little coconut milk as possible because the rice mixture will be to runny to shape if there is too much milk. The Taste Buddies loved the rice, and we topped it off with raspberries and clementines! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment