- 1 small ciabatta roll
- 2 tomato slices
- 1 slice of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil
- Slice ciabatta roll in half, lengthwise.
- Place sliced tomatoes on one half of bread.
- Add mozzarella and basil
- Top with remaining bread half.
- 1 apple
- 1 orange
- Other favorite fruits
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- Mix orange juice, lemon juice, and lemon-lime soda.
- Pour over chopped fruit.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using your fingers.
- Add buttermilk and stir until a dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently 4-6 times.
- Flour dough and a rolling pin, then roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out as many doughnuts as possible with floured cutter.
- Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut more doughnuts.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot until thermometer registers 375 °F.
- Working in batches, slide doughnuts into oil and fry (about 1 minute per side or until browned).
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Cool slightly and toss in cinnamon sugar.