- 5 to 6 cups sliced, pared apples (about 6 tart, firm apples)
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1/3 cup melted, cooled shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place apples in a greased 6 x 10-inch baking dish.
- Mix the next 5 ingredients together with fork until crumbly, and sprinkle over the apples.
- Top your apple and crumble mixture with shortening and cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in a 350°F. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
LASAGNA ROLL UP
- 8 ounces dried lasagna noodles (do not substitute a no-boil version)
- Handmade ricotta (or 16 ounces store-bought ricotta)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- Boil noodles according to package instructions, they should be barely al dente.
- Once cooled, lay out on foil or parchment lightly coated in cooking spray.
- Mix ricotta with Parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic.
- Spoon 1/4 cup cheese mixture onto the noodle, spreading out evenly.
- Add additional fillings such as cooked sausage or fresh spinach now.
- Roll up the noodle and serve with tomato sauce for dipping.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large head iceberg - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, artichoke hearts, red onions and pimentos.
- Toss together.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Refrigerate until chilled and pour over salad to coat. Toss and serve.